May the Lord bless you and keep you.
May the Lord let his face shine on you
and be gracious to you.
May the Lord show you his face
and bring you peace. (Nb. 6:24-26)

Wednesday 27 May 2009

Trams, Buses, Cars and People

We all arrive at the same time at Piazza Maggiore.There is a P. Maggiore in each big city of the world. Every rush hour it becomes a mess.

Why am I talking about this? Because the tram that takes me to Uni every day passes through P. Maggiore.

At the beginning it was surprising. I was there, in the safety of the biggest thing on the piazza; and I realized that all the passengers (around 30) that had just got off the tram were running (literally) through the cars in order to catch the bus "number 3" that was arriving. The cars, instead of stopping where just slowing down enough for not killing anyone. The bus, of course, did not stop either. The tram (with me inside) was waiting for the green light in order to join the mess. And off it went!

My greatest surprise is that I have never seen any accident. The chaos seems to have an inner rhythm that everybody knows and follows. Every morning, in P. Maggiore, I am reminded about rhythm. Maybe it is an alternative to order. Maybe we need the capacity to enter into the heart of things instead of wanting things to be our way.

What for us is a mess has an inner rhythm. Not only in P. Maggiore, but also in our lives, what for us is a mess is conducted by a loving hand that takes care of us. This hand loves and knows the inner rhythm of the things that are happening in our lives.

I leave you with Psalm 139, “I will say, 'Let the darkness cover me, and the night wrap itself around me,' even darkness to you is not dark, and night is as clear as the day.

No comments:

Post a Comment