May the Lord bless you and keep you.
May the Lord let his face shine on you
and be gracious to you.
May the Lord show you his face
and bring you peace. (Nb. 6:24-26)

Saturday 23 May 2009

Catholic differences

As you know I am studying theology. After two years in England I came to Rome to finish the STB. It has really been a change. Now I am with seminarians and sisters from all over the world. It is giving me the opportunity to know the Catholic Church in its catholic aspect (catholic means universal); it could not be more different from one place to another.

We could not think more differently either. I personally think that our lives (as religious people) should be the basis for our words. Others think that our presence is enough, a presence that is noticed. Yesterday I was talking about this with a friend. Some people (religious and no religious) think that it is enough with “being there” for being a witnesses to the Gospel (the conversation had started with the always present question of why I do not wear habit). He (my friend) was saying that with his habit, when people see him they know that he has given his life to God and this is a witness. I agree with that. I also think that there are many ways of making people know about God; you tell them about Him, that’s one, another is to wake up their curiosity with your life until they ask the question of why you are like that. I like better the second one. Show with your life what you want to say with your words. And when someone asks, then, speak! Neither the habit nor the lack of it makes us truthful witnesses to the presence of God among us; only the acts of love, kindness, forgiveness that we do.

Children, our love must be not just words or mere talk, but something active and genuine. This will be the proof that we belong to the truth, and it will convince us in his presence, even if our own feelings condemn us, that God is greater than our feelings and knows all things. (1 John 3:18-20)

No comments:

Post a Comment