May the Lord bless you and keep you.
May the Lord let his face shine on you
and be gracious to you.
May the Lord show you his face
and bring you peace. (Nb. 6:24-26)

Friday 25 September 2009

Waste or For Recycling?


Did you know that there is an island of trash swimming around the Pacific Ocean? Yesterday I was reading about it. It made me ponder about the amounts of “trash” swimming inside of us without any restraint. Moreover, as I was reading the article, I found myself thinking: “this rubbish should be picked up and recycled.” Then I thought of so many moments and things in my own life that I do not recycle. I mean, all that useless resentments, old hurts, old habits, etc.

Hence, the title of this blog, are those things a waste or just in need of recycling? Can they be recycled? Do we have the means to transform a bad experience into something new?

According to God we do. Everything is an opportunity. Nothing is a waste in our lives. Good things give us immediate joy, peace, happiness, strength, and so on. Bad times teach us lots about the world, ourselves and strengths we didn’t know we had. Failures can make us more understanding with other people’s struggles, more merciful, able to forgive other’s failures…

So I found myself musing on how to do this recycling. My answer came from the Word of God; in the Gospel of Matthew, Jesus tells the disciples about the problems they will face; he says… “You will be brought before governors and kings for my sake, as evidence to them and to the gentiles (Matthew 10,18)” As ordinary people, the only way to speak to governors and kings about Christ was to be the prisoner in a trial. Looking back in my life I realized that much of that “trash” made me able to do things that otherwise I would never have been able to do. Thanks to God we have the capacity to recycle trash into a new life.

5 comments:

  1. Great thoughts & yet not everyone has ever opened their eyes to this secret to living a happy life.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for the inspiring thought for this morning!

    Brad Zockoll
    dr.zockoll.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. This post was so encouraging!!!! What a great perspective. You broke it down so well, God's wisdom is so awesome, he has a way to make us understand profound things in the simplest ways!! Keep posting, I love it!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Pilar, soy tu cuñada Eva, Mar nos ha dado tu dirección y por los niños sólo he podido leer un poco, pero me ha parecido maravilloso, ten por seguro que seguiré leyendo lo que escribas. Muchos besos

    ReplyDelete
  5. you are invited to follow my blog

    ReplyDelete