May the Lord bless you and keep you.
May the Lord let his face shine on you
and be gracious to you.
May the Lord show you his face
and bring you peace. (Nb. 6:24-26)

Sunday 5 July 2009

Rings and symbols.


Do you wear a ring? I have been looking at the ring on my finger all week. Why? Because last weekend I saw a film, “Fireproofmymarriage,” where there is a scene about a ring. A husband has been trying to save a sinking marriage; now he is wounded in hospital; he looks at his ring that is sitting on a side table, and puts it on; the doctor tells him better not because the hand needs to heal. And the answer is “my hand will have to heal with the ring”, when he looks back at his hand it is obvious that he is referring to his marriage; the ring has become for him a symbol of it.

As a consequence, I have been thinking about symbols all week. Small things become very important because they represent for us something else. Have you ever had any item with not much value but that meant a lot for you? A photography, letter, song, music CD …and tried to explain to someone else why is it that is so important? One feels a little irrational trying to explain why a normal thing is so special.

This week I felt odd trying to explain why I wear a ring. It is a reminder of a mutual commitment; but as many words as I was using I could not explain fully what it means for me to look at my finger and remember that I have a very special love in my life. A simple ring makes me taste a love that “is always patient and kind, never jealous, boastful or conceited, always ready to make allowances, to trust, to hope and to endure whatever comes”. (1Corinthians 13,4-7)
Not bad for a simple ring…




1 comment:

  1. What a great thought! I may have to us it in a sermon somewhere.

    Blessings,

    Steve

    ReplyDelete